Brown University, a repeat client, has retained Helbling to conduct an executive search to secure an Assistant Vice President Planning, Design, & Construction (AVP) who will provide strategic leadership, coordination, and administrative oversight to facilities planning, design, and construction and the development of long-term strategies to meet the needs of the university. As a member of multiple executive committees, the AVP will work closely with senior leadership and members of the Brown Corporation to provide strategic direction to all projects and planning efforts. The AVP will supervise 3 direct reports and indirectly support additional staff of 25 employees. This group plans and delivers approximately 130 projects annually, including over $10 million per year on renewal and functional renovations and approximately $500M in multi-year capital projects.
Major Responsibilities & Expected End-Results and % Time
1. 45% - Oversee all Planning, Design & Construction activities to ensure that department and university needs are met.
- Develop and define the infrastructure of the department.
- Determine areas of potential cost reductions, program improvements, and policy change.
- Evaluate initiatives for strategic impact and/or expected outcomes.
- Establish and implement departmental policies, goals, objectives, and procedures, conferring with university officials and departmental staff members as necessary.
- Develop and assign comprehensive plans, processes, and programs to continuously improve the organization.
- Align resources, delegate authority, and set milestones,
- Develop and train staff as needed and track progress of projects.
- Work closely with the VP, the AVP for Facilities Operations, and other senior level staff both in the department and within the university to provide strategic direction to the group for which she/he is responsible.
2. 15% - Manage staff including recruitment, supervision, scheduling, development, evaluation and accountability.
- Meet regularly with staff to review activities, address all matters which may impact efficiency, and propose and implement changes as necessary to ensure staff meets departmental and individual goals.
3. 40% - Responsible for the progress and quality of all construction projects.
- Oversee and coordinate all activities associated with project planning, design, and construction, and oversee the processes responsible for managing, supervising, and contracting with consultants, contractors, and vendors associated with all construction, renovation and repair projects at the university.
- Development, implementation, and direction of a planned project selection and cost estimating for both short and long term facility maintenance needs, including space planning, deferred maintenance, facility renewal, and facility condition inspection programs.
- Ensure that all legal and departmental standards are met.
- Develop and maintain relationships with all city and state agencies, regulatory, and enforcement offices, other committees and boards responsible for the permitting, and a variety of local community groups.
- Oversee the process of negotiating with, selecting, and maintaining relationships with appropriate vendors and outside contractors.
- Develop and monitor metrics to assure the organization is operating efficiently and effectively serving client and departmental needs.