JE Dunn Construction Group, Inc. has retained Helbling to secure a Vice President, Group Manager (Healthcare, Florida).
Due to the strategic goal of continuing to expand JE Dunn’s national healthcare market sector, the firm is looking to attain a unique candidate who can not only lead the further development of the Florida healthcare market, but who also fits the JE Dunn culture.
Supported by the local market office (Tampa) as well as the National Healthcare Division (Nashville) the Vice President, Group Manager (Healthcare, Florida) will provide overall direction and leadership for the assigned work program across all phases of the project lifecycle. This position is responsible for providing strategic direction, operational excellence, financial management, team leadership, and relationship management with all stakeholders. They will drive the contracting, business development, and comprehensive risk management in order to meet or exceed all contractual and financial targets. All activities will be performed in support of the strategy, vision, and values of JE Dunn.
Key Role Responsibilities
GROUP MANAGEMENT FAMILY – CORE
Provides direction and leadership for the assigned work program across all phases of the project lifecycle, including client development, business development, preconstruction, construction, project closeout, and post-construction client relationship management. Develops and executes full business and strategic planning for the work program in support of company strategy and Key Success Indicators (KSIs).
- Safety Leadership: Leads all aspects of the company’s safety culture and creates awareness by demonstrating commitment to an injury-free environment through individual actions and mentoring others. Investigates safety incidents and retrains staff as needed and implements corrective action.
- Corporate Leadership: Assists senior management with strategy development; develops and supports company-wide initiatives, best practices, and policies within the work program.
- Strategy Development & Implementation: Provides strategic direction to team members in light of broader work program strategic plans across all areas of the project lifecycle (e.g., client relationship strategy, business development strategy, resource management strategy, financial management strategy).
- Client Relationship Management: Serves as the primary client relationship executive at a leadership level, exhibiting a deep knowledge and understanding of the client. Builds and maintains long-term relationships with new and existing target clients for the assigned work program to build new business opportunities and cultivate repeat wins. Provides project specific guidance to team members in light of broader client relationship strategy.
- Business Development: Creates the complete business development strategy to increase work program growth that is aligned with organizational goals and KSIs by identifying opportunities for new business development. Leverages broad knowledge of client relationships, staff availability, and overall market strategy to inform lead / deal qualification (go or no go), RFP response and ultimately, win strategy. Evaluates the competitive environment of the work program, including competitor strengths, vulnerabilities and market fee levels, in order to develop a successful market and business development strategy. Participates in the sales process, presentations and key marketing activities. Develops strategies to secure maximum margin and revenue. Leads contract review and negotiation to obtain preferred terms and conditions, mitigate risk, and secure maximum margin and revenue.
- Risk Management & Issue Resolution: Serves as escalation point for all project, financial, business development, contractual, and client relationship risks for the work program relative to contractual obligations. Resolves escalated project, staffing, financial, schedule, contractual, subcontractor, and client relationship issues throughout project lifecycle. Negotiates issue resolution including change orders, contingency expenditures, and appropriate fee enhancements. Conducts project risk assessments and escalates various risks, such as quality or financial issues, to supervisor to provide visibility, mitigate risk, and create appropriate solutions.
- Subcontractor Relationship & Strategy: Builds close relationships with the subcontractor community in order to develop long-term partners who meet SMS criteria and align with company philosophy and best practices. Drives the selection process of qualified subcontractors to achieve targeted project results. Develops and executes overall subcontractor strategy for work program success.
- Preconstruction: Leads in preconstruction discussions with clients at a leadership level. Leads internal team and collaborates with external partners (e.g., design team, subcontractors, and authorities having jurisdiction) to develop contractual obligations, such as complete estimates with contingencies, schedules, constructability, staffing plan, and business plan.
- Project & Schedule Review: Oversees and is accountable for all components (e.g., schedule, budget, relationships, staffing) of project and schedule review throughout the lifecycle of the project to ensure contractual obligations are met and to hold team members accountable to all expectations.
- Resource Management: Ensures staffing levels are sufficient, relative to contractual commitments, schedules, staffing levels, and constraints. Plans and adapts resource management plans as needed to ensure proper staffing levels and results.
- Community and Industry Engagement: Assumes an influential leadership role in community and industry relationship building through networking, representing the organization on boards, and serving as the face of the organization to help promote the interests of the company.
- Leads, supports, and promotes a culture of diversity and inclusion within JE Dunn. Understands JE Dunn’s policy of non-discrimination and ensures positive, proactive implementation throughout the organization.
- Owns comprehensive financial responsibility (e.g., financial plans, budgets, forecasts) for an entire work program to minimize risk and variance and to maximize contributions to company revenue and margin.
- Directs and oversees financial management across one or more levels of employees to optimize financial results for the work program.
- Reviews and assesses financial data, reports, and records. Ensures employee compliance with related procedures to ensure effective and efficient operations.
- Creates and communicates financial targets and goals in order to accomplish broader financial objectives.
- Proactively monitors and interprets ongoing financial performance and responds strategically. Assesses and mitigates financial risks.
- Translates broad corporate financial plans, targets, and KSIs into plans and targets specific for the work program. Contributes to corporate planning, budgeting, and issue resolution.
- Develops business plans and makes operational decisions in light of broader financial goals and constraints.
- Inspires and facilitates an environment of effective communication, teamwork, and recognition throughout the work program.
- Models and establishes a culture of safety, quality, productivity, performance, and alignment with company values.
- Resolves complex and sensitive issues, coaching others towards effective problem solving, continuous improvement, and problem prevention.
- Communicates vision and strategy, articulating the relationship between corporate plans and the goals and performance of the work program and individual employees. Leads and inspires team performance and productivity in alignment with broader work program and corporate goals and plans.
- Oversees both short-term and long-range operational planning and resource management through one or more levels of direct reports to optimize productivity and results that are aligned with corporate strategy and objectives.
- Develops and implements a range of talent management strategies and activities across the work program, such as evaluating and managing performance, building bench strength, providing formal and informal feedback, recruiting and staffing, employee learning and development, addressing complex employee relations risks and issues, workforce planning and compensation management, etc. Coaches direct reports on a variety of management and HR processes in order to develop effective managers.
- Provides feedback and coaching to support team and individual employee performance, learning, and career development.
- Serves as a change agent by supporting corporate and work program change initiatives. Develops plans to support corporate change management strategies in order to lead and manage change within the work program.
Other Role Responsibilities
- Other duties as assigned.
- Conducts actions in a professional and unbiased manner.
- Complies with all company and site policies and best practice standards.
- Continuously develops proficiency and understanding in the role.
- Maintains a professional appearance and workspace.
- Participates in and complies with all company safety and quality programs and procedures.
- Utilizes relevant JE Dunn technology to support all assigned responsibilities.
JE Dunn Construction is headquartered in Kansas City, Missouri, and has 23 offices nationwide. With a diverse portfolio covering the country, they continue to achieve annual revenues exceeding $4 billion. As a result, they are consistently ranked among the top 30 of the 400 largest general contractors nationwide and in the top 20 for domestic building by Engineering News-Record
Driven by their guiding principles centered around their employees, communities, and clients, JE Dunn recognizes their work not only touches lives – it changes them. That is why their inspired people are committed to building inspired places in communities from coast to coast.
Tampa, FL / Candidate may work remotely in Florida
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities
- Ability to perform work accurately and completely, and in a timely manner.
- Communication skills, verbal and written (Advanced).
- Ability to conduct effective presentations (Advanced).
- Proficiency in MS Office (Intermediate).
- Thorough knowledge of project processes and how each supports the successful completion of a project.
- Proficiency in project management and accounting software such as CMiC (Intermediate).
- Proficiency in required construction technology (Advanced).
- Ability to apply Lean process and philosophy (Intermediate).
- Ability to manage budgets, maximize profitability, and generate future work (Advanced).
- Ability to complete estimating and productivity analysis.
- Demonstrated track record of successful completion of projects from start to finish (Advanced).
- Thorough knowledge of MBE (Minority Business Enterprise), WBE (Women Owned Business Enterprise), and SBA (Small Business Administration) regulations.
- Thorough knowledge and application of corporate risk management policies.
- Ability to build relationships and collaborate within a team, internally and externally.
- Bachelor’s degree in construction management, engineering, or related field (preferred).
- In lieu of the above requirement, equivalent relevant experience will be considered.
- 10+ years (required), 15+ years (preferred) construction management experience.
- 5+ years people management experience (required).
- Demonstrated success in simultaneously leading multiple large or complex projects and/or multiple teams.
- Healthcare Project Management experience working with AHCA in Florida (Required)
Certifications & Professional Affiliations
- Successful completion of company training and role-specific professional development coursework, within required timeframe (Required).
- Successful completion of OSHA 30 training, within required timeframe (Required).
- Successful completion and maintenance of First Aid Certification, CPR (Preferred).
- Active involvement in relevant industry and community organizations (Required).
- Leadership in Energy and Environmental Design (Preferred).
- Serves in a leadership role or on a board for relevant industry and community organizations (Preferred).
This role description indicates in general the nature and levels of work, knowledge, skills, abilities and other essential functions (as covered under the Americans with Disabilities Act) expected of an incumbent.
All activities will be performed in support of the strategy, vision and values of JE Dunn. Nothing in this role description restricts management’s right to assign or reassign duties and responsibilities to this role at any time. All activities must be in compliance with Equal Employment Opportunity laws, and other laws and regulations, as appropriate.