The University of Florida, a repeat client, has retained Helbling to conduct an executive search to secure a Utilities and Energy Management Director.
Summary of Position / Responsibilities
Reporting to the Assistant Vice President for Facilities Services, the Utilities and Energy Management Director is to provide leadership on planning and implementing the University’s strategic initiatives relative to utilities and energy management, including energy procurement, generation, and distribution to buildings, as well as other underground utilities supporting 24M SF of education, office, laboratory research, and health clinic space. The Utilities and Energy Management Director will work collaboratively with the existing Facilities Operations and Capital Projects Division in support of the overall University mission.
Additionally, the position requires the Director to assess current utility operations and apply dynamic leadership and industry knowledge regarding day-to-day operations. As a key member of the senior leadership team, this position shall focus on safety and environmental compliance, optimization of plant operations, fiscal stewardship, and enterprise management along with managing the energy savings program. This position will have the responsibility of directing and managing an overall staff of approximately 100.
In collaboration with other UF departments and outside contractors, the chosen candidate will play a key role in the creation of the University's new central energy plant. This new facility will produce steam, chilled water, and co-generated electricity. Features include a new electrical substation, underground electrical infrastructure, replacement of aging distribution assets, and new distribution piping for chilled water and steam / condensate. The estimated cost of of all utility infrastructure projects over the next five years, including the new central energy plant, will total $350M.
Major Job Responsibility
Leadership / Administrative Management (40% of time)
- Provides leadership on planning and implementing the University’s strategic initiatives relative to utilities and energy management, including energy procurement, generation, and distribution to buildings, as well as other underground utilities.
- Oversees all functional areas in support of utilities and energy management, including Central Utilities (substations and steam / chiller plants); Heating / Cooling Plant Maintenance and Operations; High Voltage Engineering, Design, and Project Management; Utility Energy Conservation; Systems Controls; Infrastructure; and Environmental Stewardship.
- Identifies and implements plans to optimize system and equipment operations. Develops and administers comprehensive policies, procedures, and strategic initiatives in support of Divisional Directors.
Fiscal Management (25% of time)
- Develops, administers, and manages annual University-wide utilities / energy budget in excess of $100M.
- Monitors and ensures appropriate expenditure of funds; and authorizes engineering and design projects for substations and steam / chiller plants via internal and / or external source contractors.
- Authorizes maintenance and operational expenditures and infrastructure improvements via internal and / or external source contractors.
- Responsible, along with the Assistant Vice President for Facilities Services, for planning and producing the biennium and five-year plan capital budgets for University Administration.
Internal and External Relations / Organizational Improvement (25% of time)
- Proactively and regularly initiates, establishes, and maintains effective client relationships with faculty, staff, students, and others to advance UF’s strategic initiatives, mission, and goals.
- Models and promotes excellent customer service for internal and external customers.
- Advocates and participates in continuous improvement activities within specific areas of responsibility, as well as for the University.
- Establishes Key Performance Indicators (KPI’s) to be measured to ensure customer requirements are met or exceeded in accordance with established procedures and processes, and holds team members accountable.
- Leads and develops effective, engaged, and committed team members.
Safety / Environmental; Code and Regulatory Compliance (5% of time)
- Ensures vendor and employee compliance with building codes in regards to local, state, and federal statutes and University standards, along with ensuring compliance with The Joint Commission regulations.
- Ensures correct use of Personal Protective Equipment (PPE).
- Ensures compliance with safety and life safety codes, OSHA, EPA, and other regulatory agencies.
- Demonstrates compliance with Clean Air Act, Clean Water Act, Confined Space Entry, Lock-Out / Tag-Out, Storage Tanks, and Spill Prevention Control and Countermeasures.
Other Duties and Responsibilities as Assigned (5% of time)
- Special projects as assigned or required by the Assistant Vice President for Facilities Services.
- Unanticipated duties and responsibilities, as necessary, in the line of duty for the job position.
- Specific team role as defined for major Facilities Management and / or UF Campus Crisis Management.
Summary of Staff Reporting
- Direct - 8
- Assistant Directors (4)
- Administrative Support Associates (4)
- Indirect - approximately 80
- Total - approximately 100
- Utility masterplan and GIS to be completed in 2019.
- The UF Utilities System consists of:
- 10 Cooling Plants
- 4 Heating Plants
- 10 Electrical Substations
- Currently, the System provides the University with chilled water, steam heat, and electricity purchased from Duke Energy. A new co-generation plant is in the planning phase, which UF will maintain and operate.
- UF’s total utilities budget for 2018-2019 is $100M.
- Currently, UF is constructing a $26M cooling and heating plant for Vet Med complex.