Lafayette College, a repeat client, has retained Helbling to conduct an executive search to secure a Director of Facilities Operations, which is a newly created position that will provide overall leadership and management oversight to all facets of Facilities Operations and serves as the Executive Director of Facilities Operations in their absence or as requested.
Supervision Received and Supervision Given
General guidance will be provided to the Director by the Executive Director of Facilities Operations who has been with Lafayette College for over 30 years and also indirectly by the Vice President of Finance & Administration. Considerable latitude and independence is afforded to this position as the incumbent is expected to make decisions and generate alternatives for consideration on all matters connected with Facilities Operations and for the College in general.
The Director will also provide direct supervision and guidance to the Assistant Directors, Associate Directors, Supervisors, support staff, and trades employees of the Facilities Operations division.
Primary Duties and Responsibilities
- Continually reviews the operations, repairs, and preventative maintenance of the campus utility systems, mechanical systems, and buildings, as well as the campus electrical systems, grounds, and all matters concerning facilities.
- Monitors the Siemens energy management system, the work order system, and department capital and expense budgets. Recommends improvements in efficiency and effectiveness.
- Assists in the development of long-range planning for the College, including how to manage deferred and preventative maintenance.
- Ensures that work orders are completed in a timely, economical, and effective manner. Strives to increase the quality and quantity of the work performed by Facilities Operations personnel.
- Provides management guidance to mechanical and general trades, grounds shop, custodial services, steam plant, clerical staff, and support staff on a tactical and strategic basis.
- Provides technical assistance and guidance on all engineering matters connected with Facilities Operations. Manages the technical library and drawing files for Facilities Operations.
- Assists the direct reports in planning and estimating proposed maintenance and capital projects.
- Manages all personnel matters within Facilities Operations and ensures that the personnel comply with the Finance and Administration Division work rules, and executes discipline, if necessary.
- Maintains a safe working environment within Facilities Operations and maintains compliance with OSHA and all other safety related codes and regulations.
- Maintains good working relationships with the administration, all departments on campus, and the City of Easton officials. Customer service should be a paramount value.
- Provides direction and guidance on energy use, energy conservation measures, energy conservation projects, and the campus climate action plan, and assists in generating estimates for said projects.
- Responsible for environmental compliance within Facilities Operations.
- Assists in maintaining records required by state and federal agencies as they apply to Facilities Operations.
- Participates in the technical review of plans, specifications, and construction documents for new facilities and on occasion manages the construction.
- Be willing and able to expand duties and take on special projects as assigned.
About Lafayette College
Lafayette College was founded in March 1826 when the citizens of Easton received a charter signed by the governor of Pennsylvania establishing Lafayette. The vision: to teach the habits and subjects of a disciplined mind, the skills to conduct careful research and come to considered conclusions, and the desire and ability to lead a purposeful life. Today, Lafayette has 2,610 students, drawn from 46 U.S. states and territories, as well as 53 countries along with 229 full-time faculty members.
Lafayette is a proudly independent, academically competitive, and diverse in culture and perspective. The College offers undergraduate programs on a coeducational, residential campus rich in history and beauty. The campus contains 69 buildings, comprising approximately 1.76 million SF, situated on 340 acres, including a 230-acre athletic campus. The College is undertaking an aggressive capital construction program that includes a new 165-bed Residence Hall and a $75M Integrated Sciences Building. These efforts are in support of the “Strategic Direction for Lafayette College” set forth by Lafayette’s President, Alison Byerly, which include increasing the student population by 400 and adding 40 faculty in the coming years. Lafayette’s total endowment has grown to $950M devoted exclusively to undergraduates.
“We are building on Lafayette’s greatest strength—its people— to ensure the College’s success and prominence in the future.” - Lafayette President, Alison R. Byerly
Easton, PA overlooks the Delaware River and has a population of roughly 30,000. Easton is located in the Lehigh Valley, population 800,000; about 70 miles west of New York City and 60 miles north of Philadelphia. The scenic Pocono Mountains are about 35 miles to the north of Easton.