University of Massachusetts Lowell has retained Helbling to conduct an executive search to secure an Associate Director, Facilities Operations and Services.
The Associate Director, Facilities Operations & Services ensures support of the University commitment to providing quality facilities, trades work and customer service services to the entire campus community; with responsibility for trades department activities related to University facilities building, infrastructure and site projects. The growing university includes 4.5M sf in 60 buildings and 160 people. The position supports and provides assistance to the Director of Facilities Operations and Services with supervisory/management activities.
- Collaborate with Director of O & S who has oversight of University’s operations and programs related to Carpentry, Lock Shop, Paint Shop, Electrical Shop, Plumbers, Power Plants, HVAC, Energy Management Systems, Utility Infrastructure, Housekeeping, Grounds and related contracts. Duties to include:
- Manage the efficiency of daily facility operations. Develop and implement standard operating procedures and preventative, reactive and deferred maintenance programs and work management systems.
- Directly responsible for building effective teams within Operations & Services and ensuring facilities are reliable, safe and supports the University’s mission.
- Serve as the facilities manager and liaison for assigned operations and functions such as conference and event support services.
- Responsible for the direct supervision of various sub-units within the physical plant organization, such as building trades, custodial and grounds and coordination with mechanical trades services or others as the director’s designee.
- Provides support for special campus events and responds to campus emergencies and weather events as needed.
- Encourage and facilitate collaboration among the Planning, Project Management and Operations and Services Managers including creating and maintaining accuracy of design standards for MEP systems, equipment and OS requirements for improved efficiency and continuity.
- Assist the Director in budget development and financial management for all operational areas. Total annual budget exceeds $15M.
- Serve as Director’s designee in Director’s absence.
- Comply with State, Federal, Municipal regulations and University procedures that govern maintenance and repair of buildings.
- Provide direct oversight to University programs as they relate to Operations and Services by:
- Establish department specifications and policies for material and processes to be used within service delivery.
- Monitor and implement policies to effectively support event and conference service needs management operations.
- Develop daily, monthly and annual maintenance schedules through the use of the work order management system, and other automated maintenance and scheduling programs.
- Develop and direct building maintenance/repair contracted services to ensure that service standards are consistent with University administrative and procurement policies and procedures.
- Establish quality control guidelines and ensure timely completion of project work.
- Take an active role in the resolution and coordination of technical problems within buildings and infrastructure.
- Ensure compliance with all procurement regulations for assigned projects and purchases.
- Perform routine walking inspections, surveys or visits of buildings, and other facility related areas throughout the entire university community.
- Manage programs within Facilities Operations and Services including uniform, pest control, and specification development among others.
- Work closely with the Business Affairs Department in regards to procurement policies, practices, training, Service Center, HR, time management system and employee related issues.
- Support supervisors with management actions including assisting with union grievances and resolutions as assigned.
- Monitor Operations & Services support needs within University emergency management and environmental services departments.
- Monitor and ensure operational service and support needs for Resident Life, Student Affairs, Food Service and Special Events departments.
- Promote the University’s commitment to customer service by:
- Build effective partnerships with co-workers throughout the University by freely sharing appropriate information and providing assistance when needed.
- Ensure optimum service to all internal and external partners in response to all requests for service and information.
- Maintain an environment that is welcoming and supportive to all persons.
- Establish and maintain productive relationships with faculty, staff, students and university departments, contractors and vendors.
- Provide for a safe and sustainable environment by:
- Promoting work place safety, risk minimization practices and compliance with applicable safety and environmental codes regarding trade associated work. This includes training and PPE programs.
- Ensuring contractors demonstrate work place safety and risk minimization practices.
- Supporting the University’s mission for environmental sustainability by monitoring Operations and Services work practices and improvements related to environmental stewardship through recycling, green and energy conservation initiatives.
Performs other related duties as assigned including but not limited to serving on committees, snow storm response operations and disaster response, etc.