Emory University has retained Helbling to conduct an executive search to secure an Associate Director, Building and Residential Services (BRS).
The Associate Director, Building and Residential Services will work under the leadership of the Senior Director of Building and Residential Services (BRS) and Auxiliary Services to provide leadership of the day-to-day BRS operations.
Essential Job Functions
- Provides leadership and guidance regarding team performance, employee development, employee performance, overall work results, and customer satisfaction.
- Assists with the implementation and enforcement of policies, procedures, and employee and departmental goals.
- Leads, mentors, and coaches assigned Managers.
- Responsible for all BRS area operations and logistics and for delivering service excellence to campus customers.
- Oversees the general appearance of assigned buildings through regular inspections.
- Meets regularly with Managers to review schedules, work results, and team needs.
- Establishes priorities and goals for members of the team in the various assigned zones.
- Leads all hiring and training efforts within areas of responsibility.
- Leads and manages bi-annual performance review of all line and Manager staff within assigned areas.
- Hires, trains, supervises, and evaluates staff.
- Leads and facilitates administrative actions for employees in close coordination with the Senior Director of BRS and Campus Services HR.
- Supports the resolution of issues that may arise in the various areas.
- Monitors service delivery and employee development.
- Meets regularly with the team as well as the department Senior Director to ensure alignment between division and departments, provide status reports, and embrace an opportunity for information sharing.
- Ensures that the budgets are effectively managed and that the financial resources are properly utilized.
- Regularly reviews reports on personnel transactions (sick leave, vacations, FMLA, or other leaves of absence), assesses staffing needs and capabilities, and implements changes and adjustments as needed.
- Assists the Senior Director in evaluating processes, procedures, and goals.
- Develops strategic models for inventory management; develops and implements strategies for improving the material transfer process.
- Oversees the ordering of supplies, equipment, materials, and vehicles. Researches vendors, supplies, equipment, and manufacturers to ensure the best quality and value, and incorporates employee and customer feedback on major products and equipment choices where appropriate.
- Analyzes material usage and asset management data and reports regularly to director.
- Ensures the timely processing of properly authorized financial transactions and assists with budget management.
- Develops and models custodial routines with a focus on efficiency and customer service and with intentional and effective use of technology in daily work, including making recommendations on electronic tools and processes.
- Develops quality control standards and tests for compliance across the organization.
- Ensures that financial and operational data is collected, recorded, categorized, and reported according to established policies and procedures.
- Supports the Senior Director in gathering customer feedback and evaluating the effectiveness of services and processes.
- In close coordination with the CS Training Department and Emory EHSO, oversees employee training programs for routines, chemicals, and safety; ensures all required training is completed and documented.
- Oversees the departmental communication program, ensuring strong lines of communication between all areas within the department.
- Manages the preventative maintenance and repair program for all BRS departmental equipment, including vehicles.
- Performs other duties as required.
About Emory University
Emory University is a private research university in metropolitan Atlanta, located in the Druid Hills section of DeKalb County, Georgia. The University is the second-oldest private institution of higher education in Georgia and among the 50 oldest private universities in the United States. Emory is frequently cited as one of the world's leading research universities and is consistently ranked in the top 25 National Universities by U.S. News & World Report
- A bachelor's degree and five years of related leadership experience, OR an equivalent combination of education, training, and experience.
- Experience in leading teams or groups or equivalent leadership training.
- May require a valid Georgia driver's license and an insurable driving record.
- Knowledge of all Microsoft Office software, proficient in Word, Excel, Outlook.
- Master’s degree preferred.
- Strong custodial technical skills a plus.
- Thought leadership and high emotional intelligence.
- Strong people management skills to lead a diverse workforce.
Position tasks are required to be performed in person at an Emory University location; working remote is not an option. Emory reserves the right to change this status with notice to employee.
Emory University is an equal opportunity, affirmative action employer.