As facilities management (FM) continues to evolve beyond building, equipment and grounds maintenance, so do events for its professionals. In July of this year, APPA – Leadership in Education Facilities
, held its annual conference and exhibition in Denver. With excellent feedback from Helbling's Wes Miller
, Managing Director - Southeast Region, the firm decided to attend and exhibit at ERAPPA
, the Eastern region’s event that takes place in Erie, PA September 29 to October 2.
, Executive Director - Northeast and Tom Dunn
, Managing Director - Mid-Atlantic will be at booth 609
. They will be armed (with free interview guides and promotional items!) and prepared to share insight on the facilities talent market and interview strategies. If you will be attending, please stop by the booth to get acquainted!
When time avails, Jim and Tom will also attend conference sessions—of most interest are those related to recruitment, talent management and leadership development:
- Customer Service: A 360 Approach to Facilities Public Relations – Because of the evolving college marketplace and worldwide technological growth, facility managers must review the ways they provide customer service. The presenter will discuss ways to expand outreach and how attendees can better market themselves.
- How Facilities Impact Positive Outcomes in Enrollment – Utilizing historical data and survey data from regional colleges and universities, the presenters will identify the impact that campus buildings have on students’ choice of where to attend college. Attendees will learn about effective tools for attracting and retaining students.
- Innovation in an Age of Disruption: How to Implement the Latest TLS Findings in Your Organization – Based on APPA’s 2019 Thought Leaders report by the same name, attendees will learn how to embrace innovation in the face of adaptive challenges. The speaker will address common approaches to higher education challenges and how to apply an innovative and entrepreneurial mindset to them.
- Situational Leadership – This session is based on the key principle of situational leadership: that there is no single “best” style of leadership. It covers two fundamental concepts of the situational leadership model: leadership style and the individual or group's performance-readiness level.
- The Future of Diversity and Inclusion in Delivering the Next Generation of FM – A panel discussion led by Jonathan Stanley, VP of Education, Tarkett, will include an evolution of the existing and up-and-coming leaders in facilities management and a checklist for how to build a diverse and inclusive team.
- What's Trust Got to Do with It? – Everything—according to the session presenter. Trust is the single most critical component of a successful leader and organization. When there is high trust and communication, productivity goes up and cost goes down; the inverse is also true. Learn how to use a method of trust transformation to build the culture you desire.
As usual, ERAPPA will be sharing valuable information at the conference, and APPA's Southeastern regional association (SRAPPA) is set to offer more of the same. Leadership/Communications is one of the four main session categories with Jane Hix of Franklin Covey presenting what looks to be a popular session, “6 Critical Practices for Leading a Team of Trust.” If you are attending SRAPPA’s conference
in Covington, KY on October 5 to 9 and would like to connect with Helbling, our Managing Director of the Southeast Region, Wes Miller
, will be attending.
Hope to see you at one of the events!
Should you not be attending either conference but are interested in speaking with one of our managing directors, please visit our Contact
page or call (724) 935-7500.