Helbling has been retained by a hospitality real estate developer to conduct an executive search to secure a Vice President, Design & Construction. Reporting to the President / Chief Executive Officer, this person will act as a senior member of the management team of the development company with responsibility for overseeing both new construction projects and projects in existing hotels. The successful candidate needs to be experienced, ambitious, a strong communicator (written and oral), and capable of both strategic thinking and hands-on execution.
Our client's key goal is to drive the product design vision evolution, while overseeing the execution of that vision on individual projects in a manner that delivers the right program and product, and minimizes cost and time.
- Overall design concepts for new projects and renovations.
- Overall relationships with outside design team.
- Lead design integration with operational and strategic objectives.
- Project feasibility review: design issues related to physical structure, permitting and approval environment (zoning), initial budget estimates, diligence of existing structure, survey, and title issues.
- Schematic design: input including mechanical, shell, and core considerations.
- Hiring of key consultants: identifying, scoping, interviewing, evaluating, and negotiating consultant hires.
- Management of consultants: managing, motivating, and coordinating the design consultants.
- Development of program brief.
- Schematic to plan design: working with design professionals to integrate key design elements, integrate mechanical and detailing decisions, review and identify issues with plans, review and identify issues with interiors, and innovate and refine the design of all hotel spaces and features.
- Hiring of builder: identifying, scoping, interviewing, evaluating, and reviewing cost proposals including level setting of budgets / bid prices, reviewing of logistics and timetables, and contract negotiation.
- Hiring of key subcontractors: identifying, scoping, interviewing, evaluating, and reviewing cost proposals, including level setting of budgets / bid prices, reviewing of logistics and timetables, and contract negotiation.
- Coordinating design work with project management / construction teams: ensuring design work done on proper timetable, and solving issues between design and construction teams.
- Permitting/building regulations/utilities: identifying issues and managing permitting process.
- Other pre-conditions in place: insurance, etc.
- Budget management: monthly requisitions and payment process.
- Design review / decisions: ongoing review of design, identifying, and solving issues.
- Change order review.
- Program management: Evaluation of performance vs. timetable, and identifying and solving issues.
- Project / design champion: ensuring design elements and quality meet the standards and needs.
- Permitting / building regulations: identifying issues and managing permitting process.
- Oversight of team responsible for FF&E.
- Tenant build-out / coordination.
- Support of development work, including such items as tenant negotiation and oversight of design.