Helbling has been retained by an international engineering consulting firm to conduct an executive search to secure a Senior Vice President & Chief Marketing Officer.
The Chief Marketing Officer (CMO) is responsible for planning, developing, implementing, and monitoring the organic business development strategies created to ensure achievement of both short- and long-term growth objectives. The CMO will collaborate closely with the Chief Executive Officer (CEO) and business leaders to establish and execute market-focused growth plans that will create value for their employees, clients, and business partners and through the execution of client development strategies, marketing, communications, and branding initiatives that will drive growth across the enterprise.
Business Growth Strategy
- Leads the development and implementation of the company’s organic growth strategy. This includes working with Market Leaders and Business Line Presidents to develop market-specific and business line-specific strategies and combining these strategies into a cohesive company-wide strategy. The CMO will be continually aware of industry and economic long-term trends and outlooks, as well as the competitive landscape and intelligence so that he / she can effectively guide the strategy development.
- Formalizes and leads the annual and long-term strategic planning process, the development of the strategic plan which complies with the Board of Directors’ guidance, and the development of a detailed multi-year action plan to implement the strategy.
- Facilitates the execution of the strategy by working collaboratively with the other Executive Team members and Business Unit Leaders to ensure that the strategy is communicated and understood throughout the organization and the annual strategic actions are budgeted for, acted upon, and completed each year so as to achieve the strategic objectives.
- Ensures that appropriate metrics are in place to measure performance and progress towards strategic goals and objectives.
Marketing & Branding
- Provides executive oversight of the Marketing & Branding functions with the goal of the company being highly recognized and well-respected in the industry across all of their markets, business lines, and geographies.
- Represents the brand and marketing strategy at the leadership level to align message and strategy, measure and assess success, identify opportunities for shared initiatives, and drive continuous improvement. This includes establishing a strong marketing team and structure, and creating a consistent company brand that produces very high-quality external marketing collateral and activities, which helps achieve organic growth goals.
- Leads marketing communications, driving (a) brand awareness and primary demand creation (advertising, public relations, social media, search engine optimization, mass emails, trade shows, events and webinars, and telemarketing); and (b) creating and maintaining content and digital assets to use and leverage across all commercial functions.
- Leads the establishment of company-wide processes and expectations that support the overall company branding objectives and activities.
Customer Identification, Retention & Growth
- Leads the direct market development function in relation to both customer acquisition and loyalty-building programs. This executive will need to bring a strategic approach to identifying and capturing the most profitable targets with the KPIs and ROI defined.
- Builds a best-in-class market and client-focused organization that leverages the company’s thought leaders to provide unique and creative solutions to elate clients, meet their needs, and become their preferred provider.
- Assesses and elevates the company’s Key Account management program to also be best-in-class in the industry and to recognize significant growth by gaining a greater share of client programs across multiple business lines through effective cross-selling for each Key client.
- Works closely with the Market Leaders and Business Line Presidents to determine and implement a regional business development model that aligns and best supports the company’s end-market strategies and actions.
- Continually assesses company structure, processes, and market approach to optimize market penetration and overall growth of the company.