Children's Hospital of Philadelphia (CHOP) has retained Helbling to conduct an executive search to secure a Senior Director of Construction.
The Senior Director of Construction is responsible for overseeing and managing all project management services related to capital projects and regulatory compliance programs at the main campus and satellite locations. He/she makes decisions and recommendations that are recognized as authoritative and have direct impact in achieving CHOP project goals and established objectives. The Senior Director negotiates critical and controversial issues with CHOP clients, consultants, top-level project team members, and other project support team members. The ideal candidate should demonstrate a high degree of creativity, foresight, and mature judgment in planning, organizing, and guiding major capital projects and strategic initiatives to achieve CHOP project and organizational objectives. Organizationally, the Senior Director reports to the Assistant Vice President, Facilities Planning, Project Management and Real Estate and oversees five to six direct reports and a total team of 18-20 professionals.
Core Position Expectations
The Senior Director is responsible for the overall management of the Project Management team to ensure that the design, construction, and occupancy phases of major capital and/or multiple, concurrent large and complex projects meet CHOP project goals and objectives. The Senior Director should consistently meet the following CHOP objectives:
- Ensures that projects are completed at or under budget.
- Ensures that projects meet or exceed established standards of quality.
- Ensures that projects are completed on or ahead of schedule.
- Provides for effective and timely project communications between all parties on a regular basis.
- Provides effective integration of diverse and conflicting views for the successful development, coordination, and implementation of projects.
- Prepares and maintains schedule reports, cash flow reports/projections, and project status reports for all capital projects.
- Represents the Hospital to outside agencies and other stakeholders.
Overall Duties and Responsibilities
1. Develops and insures an adequate organizational structure, processes, procedures, and controls to maintain project management service and meet organizational demands.
- Recommends personnel and funds required to carry out CHOP Capital programs, which are directly related with and directed toward fulfillment of CHOP Capital project objectives. Conceives and plans development needs critical to the overall CHOP Capital Project Program.
- Manages utilization of available manpower through reassignments, additions and/or deletions brought about by changing responsibilities and workload trends.
- Manages and utilizes database systems for compiling and tabulating reports, justifying work- loads, personnel, time, and attendance.
- Coordinates with Team Leads and Senior Director on all personnel and departmental matters. Evaluates department strengths/weaknesses.
- Makes recommendations for improving operations.
- Reviews applications for payment as submitted by Construction Managers and General Contractors for appropriate back-up documentation, amount being applied for versus percentage of project construction completed to date, etc.
- Controls project budgets by independently scheduling and chairing budget review meetings when needed to track project costs, Construction Manager’s reserve, and Owner’s reserve for current status.
- Reviews requests for changes, modifications, and additions to project. Assesses requests against project budget/expenditures and takes appropriate action on time critical requests while making recommendation to Senior Director on large changes affecting overall budget/schedule.
2. Responsible for supervision of project management team and external consultants during all phases of the project. Directs project management staff to meet CHOP capital project goals and objectives.
- Maintains effective coordination of all project management activities to limit impact on existing CHOP Operations.
- Constantly meets the following CHOP capital project objectives:
- Coordinate development of budgets for service contract appropriations.
- Development, planning, and implementation of future capital contract needs.
- Establishes overall objectives for quality.
- Ensures accurate records of accountability are maintained.
- Reviews budget and expenses monthly and utilizes data to predict trends and conform programs to meet projected capital funding.
3. Responsible for developing and managing the overall project schedules.
- Prepares and distributes to all project team members the overall project schedule indicating major project milestones, completion dates, occupancy date, among other details; and solicits input from various project team members in preparation of same.
- Responsible for identifying, planning, and executing project phasing on major capital projects to minimize disruption to Hospital operation.
- Coordinates project implementation and project impacts with all affected departments by providing effective, clear, concise, and timely communication between all involved parties on a regular basis.
- Routinely walks project construction areas monitoring job status/progress, manpower allocation, and established project milestones are achieved to ensure that targeted completion dates are met. Initiates corrective action as required to meet project objectives.
- Works with the assigned Project Manager to coordinate all major utility interruptions to minimize disruption to CHOP operations and provides timely communications thereof to allow affected departments adequate time to prepare for utility interruption.
4. Responsible for managing the planning and design phase of the project, monitoring, and coordinating the activities of Architectural and Engineering Consultants on assigned projects.
- Directs the development of A/E Requests for Proposals (RFP) on capital projects of varying sizes and scopes.
- Reviews proposals received with the assigned Project Manager and checks for thoroughness, responsiveness to RFP, cost, and quality. Makes recommendation to Senior Director.
- Provides oversight along with the assigned Project Manager of the A/E throughout the design phase of the project to ensure that all requirements of the RFP are fulfilled, and project design objectives are met.
- Reviews documentation prepared by outside consultants for conformance to CHOP guidelines of design/construction and Code compliance.
- Reviews A/E plans and specifications for adequate documentation, clarity, and constructability to avoid future Cost Events/Change Orders.
- Ensures that the A/E consultants perform field surveys of existing project specific site conditions to avoid later discovery in the field during the construction phase.
- Ensures that projects meet program requirements and balances user needs within the project budget and schedule.
- Draws upon a thorough working knowledge of codes and ongoing re-education of code changes and updates to ensure that all projects in design meet or exceed the latest code requirements for healthcare facilities (NFPA, AIA Guidelines, etc.) as enforced by the local Authorities having jurisdiction.
5. Responsible for the overall management of the construction phase of the projects, monitoring, and coordinating the activities of Construction Managers and General Contractors.
- Assist with the development reviews of bid packages for major capital and large construction projects of high complexity.
- Directs the reviews of qualification statements for the selection of outside construction contractors to perform project work at CHOP and maintains a level of competition for construction work.
- Ensures surrounding Hospital areas are kept clean, paths of egress are kept clear, and construction and renovation projects do not detract or deter other Hospital departments and staff members from performing their respective duties. Takes immediate action to resolve discrepancies and issues of concern and reports them to the Interim Life Safety (ILS) Committee, Security, and other departments as necessary to ensure there is no repeat of the incident.
- Routinely walks active construction areas monitoring construction activity for conformance to project objectives and CHOP guidelines. Reports variances and initiates corrective action.
- Draws upon a thorough working knowledge of codes to ensure that all projects in construction meet or exceed the latest code requirements for healthcare facilities.
- Ensures that all projects meet or exceed requirements and standards as imposed by the Joint Commission for Accreditation of Healthcare Organizations. Represents Hospital to other local agencies and stakeholders.
6. Regularly communicates with staff to disseminate information, discuss issues, and seek staff feedback.
- Holds regular staff meetings, maintaining written agendas and noting staff feedback.
- Distributes written information from other Department staff meetings and provides overview.
- Responsible for promoting incentive and recognition programs.
- Fosters atmosphere of teamwork.
7. Handles personal issues effectively and discretely: maintains confidentiality.
- Applies CHOP Policies and Procedures fairly and effectively.
- Manages discipline appropriately.
- Performs confidential annual and mid-year employee evaluations on time.
- Recommends and provides resources to fulfill staff's request for required additional skill specific training identified through the competency review.
- Actively seeks methods to improve staff performance and responsiveness.
Direction Given and Received
The Senior Director plans, organizes, and supervises the project team on assigned projects, and works closely with the Assistant Vice President on major initiatives, projects, problem-solving, and changes to achieve CHOP objectives.
- Works independently within broad, overall, established CHOP project management division objectives.
- Renders decisions in consort with the Assistant Vice President on important issues of a technical, budgetary, administrative, and scheduling nature within overall CHOP project management structure.
- Effectively resolves design issues and project scope conflicts both independently and within a team.
- Consults with the Assistant Vice President concerning highly unusual problems, developments, and critical decisions affecting overall project goals.
- Exercises considerable initiative, good judgment, and diplomacy in resolving project and team conflicts.
- Directs and communicates the overall project objectives to the project team.
- Oversees the work of outside Architectural and Engineering Consultants throughout project planning, design, and construction phases.
- Schedules project team manpower and assignments to meet milestones, deadlines, and completion dates.
- Knowledge of other department time sensitive issues and builds adequate time into project schedule to allow for them.
- Applies pressure as necessary to ensure projects are completed on or ahead of schedule.
CHOP Standards for the Position
1. Responds promptly and positively to patients, families, associates, and all others in a respectful, courteous, and confidential manner.
- Maintains an identifiable/professional attire at all times, including using name tags and identification cards.
- Respects confidentiality of patients and co-workers in all circumstances 100% of the time.
2. Participates in staff meetings, committees, projects, and teams in a collaborative manner in order to resolve conflicts and meet institutional goals.
- Attends staff meetings as scheduled 100% of the time, unless excused. Is recognized as an "informed" participant committee member by peers and completes assignments on time 100% of the time.
- Reviews and contributes to the attainment of departmental and institutional goals annually.
- Participates and contributes to team projects.
3. Identifies own learning needs and obtains necessary education to meet requirements of position; attends mandatory education programs.
- Attends mandatory education programs 100% of the time.
- Documents and reports all necessary education/training.
- Attends CHOP provided classes or pursues outside education.
- Applies education/training to daily work standards to enhance job knowledge and skills as it relates to the job.
- Reviews learning needs with supervisor to set individual education/learning goals on an annual basis.
4. Follows Hospital and department procedures and policies.
- Attends mandatory sessions/meetings/in-services 100% of the time.
- Adheres to Hospital and Department attendance policies and procedures.
- Demonstrates knowledge and application of hospital and department procedures and policies.
- Reviews policy and procedure updates provided by the supervisor or hospital.
CHOP is the nation's first hospital devoted exclusively to the care of children. Since CHOP’s start in 1855, the Hospital has been the birthplace for historic breakthroughs and dramatic firsts in pediatric medicine. Built on a foundation of delivering safe, high-quality, family-centered care, the hospital has fostered medical discoveries and innovations that have improved pediatric healthcare and saved countless children’s lives. Today, families facing complex conditions come to CHOP from all over the world, and compassionate care and innovation has repeatedly earned CHOP a spot as one of the nation's best children's hospitals. CHOP currently holds a 15-year streak of being ranked as one of the top children’s hospitals in the United States by U.S. News & World Report. For the the 2019-2020 rankings, CHOP was ranked as the No. 2 Children’s Hospital in the United States.
CHOP’s mission is founded on groundbreaking research, family-centered care, education, and advocacy.