Helbling has been retained by a long-term client, a higher education institution in New Jersey, to conduct an executive search to secure a Project Manager, Facilities & Campus Operations.
Division of Facilities and Campus Operations
The Division of Facilities and Campus Operations provides planning and design, construction, maintenance and campus operations services in support of the university’s mission and strategic goals while employing the latest sustainable technologies. Key services include: building repair and maintenance, grounds and landscaping, space planning, and custodial services. In addition, the division directly supervises all significant capital design and construction activity on campus.
The Office of Design and Construction provides project management services for capital improvement projects, including new construction and renovation projects on campus. Renovation projects include improvements to classrooms, offices, laboratories, athletics facilities, student housing, and student services, as well as updates to the infrastructure to keep campus and its buildings operational.
Overall Role and Primary Responsibilities
Reporting to the Senior Project Manager, the Project Manager will oversee projects from planning / programming and design through construction, inspections, move-in, and closeout, and may supervise the work of Assistant Project Managers, Project Coordinators, and student employees as needed. The Project Manager will be expected to act as the primary point of contact and will be the Fiscal Officer for the project(s) assigned to him or her. This requires the ability to build, lead, and manage a project team; to create a project plan; define the scope of work by soliciting and synthesizing input from end-users and departmental leadership; and facilitate communications between facilities staff, consultants and other key stakeholders. As the Fiscal Officer, the Project Manager will assist procuring the design and construction services required and will be responsible for the financial success of his or her project(s).
- Lead project team meetings with in-house personnel to schedule work and coordinate shutdowns, tie-ins, and contractor access.
- Participate in cost control activities by seeking the most effective method of delivering services.
- Review documents for compliance with standards (as well as assist in creating standards aligned with industry best practices), and existing site conditions.
- Ensure that projects comply with all applicable guidelines, codes, and standards (FGI, NFPA, NJIBC and local Building Codes, ADA, etc.).
- Ensure accessibility to construction sites, including the coordination of schedules with university functions.
- Effectively communicate construction impacts and work collaboratively with leadership and staff to mitigate impacts to ongoing operations.
- Perform daily construction site safety inspections, record and ensure prompt correction of deficiencies; ensure dust control procedures are being followed at all times, and instill a culture of safety on all projects.
- Maintain interface with client and internal business units, ensuring compliance with project performance goals, including quantitative cost and schedule targets, and achievement of quality standards.