Brigham & Women's Hospital has retained Helbling to conduct an executive search to secure a Director of Engineering.
The Director of Engineering represents the Hospital as the leader of the facilities and oversees all maintenance, operations, financial and regulatory activities of the Engineering Department. He/She will interact with leaders throught the hospital both on and off-site. Provides professional and technical support for Engineering projects throughout the hospital incorporating redundancy and resiliency.
They will represent the hospital within Brigham Health, MGB, LMA and Masco.
Reports to: Vice President of Facilities and Operations
Direct Reports: (2) managers, (5) supervisors, and (78) individual contributors in the engineering department
As a people manager, the Hosptial will rely on you to embody its diversity and inclusion workplace policies by fostering an environment that understands the value of having a diverse organization and embrace it in action. Some of the ways to model that are:
- Educate yourself on historical and contemporary publications.
- Create a safe environment to talk about the topics proactively and openly.
- Stay connected to your team, peers and others by asking for continuous feedback.
The role may indirectly provide leadership and guidance to less seasoned and new staff in other functional areas. Requires minimal direction from leadership and possesses the ability to learn quickly
Principal Duties and Responsibilities
- Sets strategic direction for department based on key industry trends and needs of the department.
- Plans, develops, secures approval of, and implements long range programs for the improvement and maintenance of the hospital facilities.
- Leads the annual Facility Condition Assessment in collaboration with the Utility Manager.
- Oversees equipment and tools inventory management to meet team and financial needs.
- Establishes collaborative relationships with other departments to ensure services are delivered to meet safety and quality standards.
- Actively participates on BWH leadership committees, representing the department, and facilitating the achievement of BWH priorities. (e.g., daily Safety Huddle).
- Establishes strong relationship with Real Estate services to support growth and expansion goals, coordinate delivery of services for best solutions, and facilitate a smooth transition to long term maintenance.
- Assumes overall responsibility for establishing and maintaining relationships with outside vendors, to meet the needs of the department and hospital.
- Negotiates contracts with outside vendors for service and materials and ensures delivery in accordance with the contract.
- Develops, recommends and implements as required, new approaches, policies, and practices to effect continual improvement in the efficiency of the department and the services it provides. Keep abreast of developments in Plant Engineering.
- Develops, processes for the safe and efficient coordination of utility shutdowns in support of enterprise capital construction projects in support of growth and expansion as defined.
- Oversees the 4 Mega Watt Cogeneration Plant is operating efficiently with Engie and Milton Cat running the daily activities.
- Oversees the continuity and quality of all utilities (i.e., power, water, gases, air conditioning, etc.) for the hospital facilities.
- Responsible for the Co-Gen plant operations.
- In collaboration with leadership team, develops and implements communication structure and methods to ensure transparency.
- Provides regular updates to senior leadership on the priorities, productivity, and engagement of team.
- Ensures compliance with all appropriate codes and regulations in collaboration with Compliance Manager. (i.e., Building Codes, Fire Codes, Federal and state agency Regulations, City Agencies, Insurance Requirements, etc.)
- Writes and interprets complex specifications and directs the development of and understandings of complex engineering drawings.
- Develops, secures approval of, implements and maintains policies and procedures for the Engineering Department.
- Takes responsibility as “Engineer-on-Call” during non-business hours overseeing the rotation of Assistant Director and Supervisors.
- Responds to all emergency situations as necessary.
- Oversees the recruiting, hiring, onboarding, professional development, and annual evaluation of leaders, and if necessary, termination.
- Coaches and mentors Assistant Director and leaders to develop strong skills that facilitate the desired department culture and achievement of outcomes.
- In collaboration with Human Resources, oversees talent development planning for department, and identification of strategies to support team to be successful.
- In collaboration with the engineering leadership team and human resources, revises organizational structure and human capital plans to optimize talent and meet department needs.
Performs other duties as assigned.
- Bachelor of Science in Engineering and /or Business Administration.
- Five years in responsible charge in Plant Engineering or Facilities Management/Operations.
- Computer literate in business software necessary to perform the technical/management responsibilities of the position.
- Industry Experience: Healthcare preferred or extensive experience working in a large, matrixed organization
- Managerial Experience: Experience directing a large team and planning, managing and organizing resources within short/medium/long term timescales. (Over 8 years to 10 years)
- Experience working with a union workforce.
Skills and Abilities
- Possess strong interpersonal skills to effectively communicate with cross-functional teams, including staff at all levels of the organization
- Ability to successfully negotiate and collaborate with others of different skill sets, backgrounds and levels within and external to the organization
- Strong problem solving and negotiation skills
- Uses expertise to act as an organizational authority on planning, organizing, prioritizing and overseeing activities to efficiently meet department needs.
- Uses comprehensive knowledge and skills to independently work while providing team guidance and training to others on developing appropriate plans or analyzing data trends for use in reports to help guide decision making.
- Acts on established expertise to analyze data trends for use in learning activities and reports to guide decision-making.
- Applies comprehensive knowledge and skills to work independently while providing team guidance and training to others on reviewing and creating relevant, lucid and effective reports.
- Uses comprehensive knowledge and skills to work independently while providing guidance and training to others on analyzing data from multiple sources to draw appropriate conclusions and make suitable recommendations.
- Uses comprehensive knowledge and skills to communicate with other people independently while providing guidance and training to others on speaking in a clear, concise and compelling manner.
Message from Employer
At Brigham Health, we place great value on being a diverse and inclusive community. Brigham Health is dedicated to diversity, equity and inclusion as we aim to reflect the diversity of the patients in our local community. We have a dedicated focus on equity. Thus, we believe in equal access to quality care, employment and advancement opportunities encompassing the full spectrum or human diversity: race, gender, sexual orientation, religion, ethnicity, national origin and all the other forms of human presence and expression that make us better able to provide innovative and cutting-edge healthcare and research.
Brigham and Women’s Hospital is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, creed, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, ancestry, age, veteran status, disability unrelated to job requirements, genetic information, military service, or other protected status. Brigham and Women’s Hospital is an Equal Opportunity Employer.