Carroll Daniel Construction has retained Helbling to conduct an executive search to secure a Design Manager.
The Design Manager typically reports into the Director Design/VDC. The primary role of the Design Manager is Leadership. The Design Manager will lead a team of professionals consisting of internal and external resources to coordinate and integrate the design for Design Build projects. The Design Manager will work together with the Director of Design, Design Team of Record, other consultants and with Operations to ensure that the owner’s objectives are realized, Carroll Daniel’s goals are met, and the design is integrated with the construction. The Design Manager ensures project success through monitoring the processes, progress, and results of the following: Client satisfaction, team effectiveness, risk mitigation, financial goals, quality and schedule. Serving as the quarterback between the Owner, Designers, Carroll Daniel and Subcontractors, the Design Manager balances design and construction needs simultaneously.
The Design Manager operates within the Design/VDC department.
The Design Manager is accountable to the Project Team and acts as the hub of the information wheel, managing the flow of project information in and out of the development of design and construction administration. The Design Manager integrates design, facilitates communications amongst team members, responsible to maintain design within budgets, supports design progresses to support the construction start date.
In accordance with our company’s guidelines the Design Manager steers the entire team. He or she has the authority to delegate his authority to the most appropriate person to lead the process at any given point in the projects development.
Participate in Business Development
- Participate in development and presentation of proposals.
- In participation with the Director of Design, Preconstruction and Division Manager (DM), assist in the response to Design-Build RFP’s
- Along with the DM, coordinate with Preconstruction and Design to ensure the appropriate Budget is established, all design and preconstruction meetings are conducted.
- Design progresses within Budget
- Work with Preconstruction to analyze the different design options
- Along with DM, ensure there is sufficient subcontractor coverage.
- Along with DM, make sure subcontractors are pre-qualified under our SDI program.
Oversee Project Design
- Establish alignment regarding the Owner’s overall Objectives that will drive the design
- Integrate the entire team of designers, preconstruction, construction, Owner and any external consultants.
- Working with General Counsel, contract with all needed consultants.
- Determine required third party consultants and reports for geotechnical, Phase one, Hazardous Materials, etc.
- Establish an overall design schedule to support the start of construction
- Establish required design parameters from the Owner objectives
- Establish decision making authority amongst the team members
- Establish critical Owner Information required to perform design
- Builds effective relationships with customers, design team, subcontractors, suppliers, and user groups that reflect and support company core values and meets or exceeds the customer’s expectations.
- Actively participates in industry, client, and community relations to enhance company image.
- Oversee the completion of any outstanding issues with Owner and Consultants through design completion.
Culture, Leadership and Employee Development
- Behaviors are in alignment with our Core Values, Purpose and Vision.
- Promotes professional behavior.
- Actively participates in industry, client, and community relations to enhance company image
About Carroll Daniel Construction
Carroll Daniel Construction Company was founded in Gainesville, Georgia in 1946 by Carroll Ephraim Daniel. Now, in their third generation of family leadership, Carroll Daniel Construction has seen the most significant period of growth in company history and has become nationally recognized in the industry. Their focus on their people and commitment to creating outstanding working environments has been recognized by the Atlanta Business Chronicle, selecting Carroll Daniel for their list of Best Places to Work. Since they broke ground on their first project nearly 75 years ago, Carroll Daniel Construction Company has experienced continuous growth and change, yet they remain anchored by the core values upon which they were founded - Relationships, Integrity, Stewardship, and Excellence. Their brand is built the Carroll Daniel Way; this is the vision they pursue, the culture they embrace, and the process they apply in everything they do. As they move toward the future, they look forward to building new opportunities - for their people, for their clients, and for the many communities they serve.
Gainesville, GA is located in northeast Georgia, approximately 50 miles northeast of Atlanta and 100 miles southwest of Greenville, South Carolina. Nestled in the foothills of the Blue Ridge Mountains, parts of Gainesville lie along the shore of one of the nation's most popular inland water destinations, Lake Lanier.
Design Manager Specific
- Demonstrates a fairness in both design and construction decision making
- Ability to make sound business decisions without having all needed information
- Empathy with and enthusiasm for the project’s goals and objectives
- Proficient at negotiating skills with clients and consultants
- Skilled at conflict management.
- Leads in Resolving Conflict. Does not let items go unresolved.
- Personal Leadership. Has a desire to improve in all aspects
- Level temperament and patience in working with others
- Familiarity with the Industrial Building Market
- Problem solving. Implements solutions that work
- Results Driven. Does not require any follow up
- Establishes Priorities. Does not need hand holding
- Flexible and Adaptable. Adjusts with the demands of the project
- Decision Making/Judgement. Always aligned with CDCC Core Values
- Proactive Customer Focus. Figures out ways to create customer following
- Listen, Watch, Learn
- Innovative/Solutions Oriented. Thinks creatively to solve problems
- Mentors’ others. Creates an environment that people benefit through exposure to work experiences
Education & Experience
- B.S. in Construction Management, Architecture, Engineering, or related field position.
- Minimum 10-15 years of progressive construction experience.
- Minimum 5-10 years managing Design-Build teams through the process of Design Integration to start of Construction.
- Background in Industrial; Poultry is not mandatory, but a significant advantage.
- Preferred DBIA Accredited Design Build Professional.
- Experienced in Design-Build and Progressive Design-Build Best Practices
- Have multi-disciplinary fluency in architectural design, engineering, preconstruction processes and construction processes.
- Exhibits commitment to quality by evaluating project-related processes and make necessary changes, using customer input to make improvements, and meeting/exceeding internal and external customer expectations.
- Acts in a manner of integrity that demonstrates support for the company values and the employees, while maintaining constant focus on meeting/exceeding customer requirements and expectations.
- Demonstrates proficiency using a personal computer (PC) and company communication tools, such as email, internet, and Microsoft products (e.g., Word, CMIC, Egnyte, Excel, Office, Outlook).
In general, performance of the job has the Operations Manager operating from an office location vs. a project location so he or she is able to oversee one or more projects simultaneously. The Operations Manager will be subject to jobsite conditions, and therefore should be able to cope with and withstand these conditions.
It is the policy of Carroll Daniel to provide equal employment opportunity for all applicants and employees. Carroll Daniel prohibits discrimination and harassment on the basis of race, color, creed, sex, gender identity, national origin or ancestry, age, religion, marital status, sexual orientation, mental or physical disability, medical condition, or any other factor rendered unlawful by federal, state or local law. Carroll Daniel also prohibits discrimination based on the perception that an individual possesses any of these characteristics or is associated with a person who possesses or is perceived as possessing any of these characteristics. All such discrimination is unlawful.