Roxbury Community College has retained Helbling to conduct an executive search to secure an Associate Vice President of Facilities & Operations.
The Associate Vice President of Facilities & Operations (AVP) is responsible for providing management, leadership and oversight for all aspects of facilities including custodial, grounds, construction, maintenance, HVAC, and assumes overall responsibility for the maintenance, upkeep and improvement of Roxbury Community College’s physical assets. Manages contracts for use of space in Roxbury Community College Media Arts Center, Reggie Lewis Center, Classroom buildings and contracted food and vending services. Participates in the development, recommendation, and administration of operational policies, procedures and processes in support of assigned functional area within Auxiliary Services. Responds to inquiries from College departments, the community and/or external agencies. The AVP works collaboratively with a wide range of internal and external constituents and plays an extremely important role across campus in providing the most advantageous learning, teaching, and work environment for students, faculty, and staff.
Under the supervision of Vice President of Administration and Finance, the Associate Vice President of Facilities & Operations will be responsible for the following:
- Develops and maintains a five (5) year capital plan for the College.
- Develops Deferred Maintenance Plan.
- Oversees energy and sustainability initiatives on behalf of the College.
- Oversees the College’s recycling program.
- Develops protocols and policies for energy conservation, management of the College capital budget, and strategies to ensure a safe and healthy environment.
- Keeps Vice President of Administration and Finance abreast of Facilities projects. Works with President and Cabinet to determine appropriate projects for the institution.
- Develops programs to maximize the use of building assets, including space, systems, furniture, fixtures, and equipment; makes recommendations in planning, including estimating space requirements, equipment needs and requirements of buildings and grounds maintenance, renovations, and contractual services.
- Communicates with College on issues involving cost, service levels, standards, employee complaints, and suggestions.
- Identifies and communicates facility goals and objectives; prepares, implements, and updates operating policies; prepares procedures needed to support policy implementation.
- Develop and implement systems, processes, and procedures to enhance efficiency of the organization and the level of customer service.
- Provides leadership to and immediate supervision over the administrative and support staff within the Facilities Department.
- Develops, implements, and assesses department goals, policies, and procedures to ensure alignment with the College’s Student Success Plan.
- Provides facilities related data for various reports required by college departments and other agencies.
- Manages all phases of construction and design services. Coordinates and manages the work of consulting architects, engineers in the preparation of plans and specifications for capital projects.
- Coordinates and manages the work of all contractors. Field supervises all construction work.
Planning / Organization
- Administer all aspects of contracts with external vendors for the Reggie Lewis Center, Media Arts Center, Classroom buildings, food service, vending and other revenue-generating activities of Auxiliary Services.
- Generate lease contracts with the help of legal counsel.
- Coordinate facility upgrades and maintenance for all auxiliary services to ensure accessibility and service quality.
- Ensures Reggie Lewis Center operations comply with all State of Massachusetts enabling legislation.
- Supervises building events including, but not limited to:
- Oversight of all event planning and production needs for events at the Reggie Lewis Center and main campus.
- Attendance at events requiring a higher profile of management site.
- Responding to emergency and client complaints and concerns.
- Prepares, submits for approval, and manages the annual appropriated and self-supporting budget.
- Maintaining and monitoring the fiscal integrity of bookstore operations.
- Manage relationships with all contracted services.
- Coordinate bookstore credit process with the Financial Aid and Bursar functions.
Food and Vending Services
- Developing, soliciting, and negotiating bids and contracts with vendors for food items.
- Manage relationships with all contracted services.
- Maintains comprehensive, regular contact with all College organizational elements concerning their needs for facilities support and monitors the relative satisfaction of same; ensures good working relations between the Facilities department and all other College personnel, faculty, and administrative offices.
- Promotes and maintains responsive community relations.
- Responsibilities include interviewing, hiring, and training employees; planning, assigning, and directing work; appraising performance; rewarding and disciplining employees; addressing complaints and resolving problems.
- Establishes design and construction requirements, prepares bid specifications and procedures for consideration of outside contracts; prepares plans, surveys, and estimates and maintains records, as required.
- Monitors energy usage; develops and implements campus plan for energy conservation.
- Directs, and manages the maintenance and repair of buildings, structures, landscaped grounds, roads, and other campus elements.
- Ensures compliance with all local, State and Federal laws and regulations, operating, environmental and safety procedures, and the College’s policies and procedures.
- Develops, prioritizes, and manages the Facilities Management budget; monitors funds and tracks expenditures in accordance with established policies and procedures. Works with DCAMM and other state agencies to develop and implement capital projects.
- Responsible for supervision of all Facilities staff. Carries out supervisory responsibilities in accordance with the College’s policies and applicable laws.