Colorado College has retained Helbling to conduct an executive search to secure an Associate Vice President, Facilities Services.
Support the Senior Vice President (SVP) for Finance and Administration. Provide leadership and professional oversight for the major functional areas of the Facilities Department: campus master planning, major capital construction and annual renewal and replacement programs, campus energy efficiency programs, sustainability programs, operations and maintenance, grounds, custodial, transportation, campus support services, campus plant heating and cooling operations, campus utility and technical services (includes engineering), and environmental health and safety.
- Support the SVP for Finance and Administration by providing administrative leadership services, guidance, and involvement on a variety of projects, campus programs, and physical plant initiatives.
- Assist in the development and implementation of goals and objectives. Assist in division administrative functions to include policy development.
- Serve as the campus new construction and facilities maintenance programming and design leader and represent the SVP as assigned.
- Lead, supervise, and coordinate new construction, maintenance, repair, renewal, improvements, and planning for all Colorado College Education and General (E&G) facilities, grounds, and utilities. The Facilities department will also provide / coordinate these services for Housing facilities.
- Collaborate and communicate closely with all college leadership to carry out the mission and strategic plan of the college and the priorities of the Finance and Administrative Division.
- Support other college leadership facility building and maintenance activities to insure timely and cost effective project delivery while meeting the intent of the Campus Master and Strategic plans.
- Assist the SVP for Finance & Administration in communications with the Trustee Committee on Buildings, Grounds, and Infrastructure.
- Lead the department by creating a collaborative and participative team environment whereby all staff support the mission and core values of the department and the College. This includes developing and administering best practices in facilities management, establishing an efficient and effective organizational structure, identifying the most effective staffing needs, developing relevant objectives and measures of performance, and practicing a leadership style which builds beneficial and productive relationships within the Facilities department.
- Lead the effort with regard to the College’s core value of “nurtur[ing] a sense of place and an ethic of environmental sustainability” while preserving the historic traditions and reducing the carbon footprint of the College’s built environment.
- Develop and manage the department's annual operating, renewal, and replacement programs. Develop a proactive database structure and tool to determine, forecast, and manage campus facility condition.
- Develop and execute a comprehensive E&G Preventative Maintenance program aimed at maintaining and improving facility condition while avoiding costly emergency projects and repairs, and prioritizing mission critical facility renewal projects and activities. The Facilities department will also provide /coordinate these services for auxiliaries, including housing facilities, as required.
- In the fulfillment of the campus Master Plan, initiate, organize and recommend annual and long-term plans for capital improvements, landscape, and major repair and/or reconstruction programs to preserve and enhance the College. This includes periodic updating of the Campus Master Plan as needed and continuously evaluating facility condition and functionality for meeting program expectations. Have a strong understanding of local project planning processes to include both City Planning, Building Department, Colorado Springs Fire Department, and other project planning requirements such as constructional completion approval / occupancy processes.
- Ensure adherence to and current relevance of Facilities Services documented guidelines for design, construction processes, operations and maintenance, and sustainable practices for Facilities Services employees, consultants, and contractors.
- Manage contracts with architects, engineers, and other consultants in the planning and development of new construction and / or the refurbishment of existing facilities. Supervise new construction work and other contracted projects to assure that facilities are constructed in accordance with current building codes, contract specifications, compatability with the College's programs and mission, and completion on schedule and within budget.
- Implement and manage College-initiated separate capital construction contracts to insure warranty, maintenance, and delivered functionality and service meets the building stakeholders needs.
- Lead the effort to develop and deliver time sensitive design and construction requests for proposals and contracts to meet respective project needs.
- Act as liaison in partnering with federal, state, and city entities when necessary as they affect or benefit the operations, maintenance, and environmental impact of facilities of the College.
- Implement and promote sustainable high-performance facility design guidelines, sustainable operations and maintenance guidelines, standards, and training programs to ensure maintenance activities, construction activities, and operations of both College employees and contractors take place in a safe, healthy, and environmentally responsible context.
- Support and actively contribute to the goal of achieving greater diversity, inclusion, and equity at Colorado College and work effectively with all members of the campus community.
- Promote a culture of safety and environmental protection by working in a safe manner, immediately reporting unsafe situations and accidents, following college procedures, and participating in appropriate safety training.
- Demonstrate environmental sustainability by using college resources wisely and supporting the college’s sustainability initiatives and innovations.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Located in Colorado Springs, CO
Mission and Vision
"At Colorado College our goal is to provide the finest liberal arts education in the country. Drawing upon the adventurous spirit of the Rocky Mountain West, we challenge students, one course at a time, to develop those habits of intellect and imagination that will prepare them for learning and leadership throughout their lives."