Bryant University has retained Helbling to conduct an executive search to secure an Assistant Vice President for Facilities Operations.
Position Summary / Essential Job Functions
The Assistant Vice President for Facilities Operations (AVP) reports to the Vice President for Business Affairs and is responsible for providing strategic vision and leadership in the comprehensive planning and management of all facility management operations, including but not limited to maintenance and trades, custodial services, grounds, environmental health and safety (EH&S), work order management, event support, sustainability, and fleet management. The AVP is the primary resource for continuous operation of the campus during all emergencies. The incumbent also negotiates and provides direction to contractual obligations engendered by negotiations with the United Service and Allied Workers of Rhode Island.
Reporting to this position are the Assistant Director of Facilities, the Manager of Financial Operations for Campus Management, the Manager of Custodial Operations, the Manager of Grounds Operations, and the Scheduling Coordinator. The AVP is also responsible to oversee and maintain relationships with outside contractors and vendors, and work collaboratively with a wide variety of campus constituents and stakeholders.
- In keeping with the University’s strategic plan and using state-of-the-art technologies, provide strategic vision and leadership in the planning, operation, assessment, and communication of the University’s facilities operations activities, including grounds maintenance, skilled trades, custodial services, event logistics, scheduling, fleet management, and renovation.
- Develop and manage annual operating budgets for the organization, and perform periodic cost and productivity analyses ensuring that facilities operating budgets are developed and effectively managed to ensure proper levels of service and effective financial oversight. Allocate human, financial, and equipment resources to ensure flexibility, timeliness, and customer satisfaction in responding to campus priorities.
- Ensure efficient and effective bidding, procurement, management, and assessment of maintenance and repair projects to ensure that projects meet quality, budget, and safety standards and are completed on time within University guidelines.
- Negotiate, manage, and assess the collective bargaining agreement with the United Service and Allied Workers of Rhode Island through proactive human and work relations, which promotes high productivity, effective service, and efficient operations. Resolve grievances quickly and effectively from inception to arbitration.
- Provide vision and leadership in maintaining a safe, healthy, sustainable, and disaster-resilient environment for the Bryant community, including faculty, staff, students, and visitors. Support University-wide goals through effective coordination with key internal and external constituents. The goals are accomplished through the following conduits: developing and implementing EH&S programs, conducting facility and equipment inspections, providing incident response and investigations, performing disposal services, providing training to support EH&S programs, and providing leadership through various committees and professional organizations.
- Establish a commissioning program for new construction and renovations; assist and advise project managers in developing and executing a thorough commissioning process. Coordinate the work of in-house staff and consultants in periodic re-commissioning of existing campus infrastructure.
- Responsible for the budgeting and procurement of University Energy and Utilities ensuring effective and efficient utilization of utilities; manage continuous efforts to reduce energy consumption. Contract with qualified consultants to advise University on optimum purchasing strategies. Advocate for systems and programs that monitor and conserve energy. Represent the University’s interests on statewide consortiums and utility-sponsored conservation initiatives.
- Oversee campus sustainability committee, leading and energizing individuals, offices, and departments around shared sustainability objectives and activities.
- Encourage initiatives and identify alternatives, which result in enhancing the preventive maintenance program and its administration. Design, establish, and maintain staffing and organizational structure to effectively accomplish the functions of Campus Management. Recruit, employ, supervise, and evaluate departmental staff. Direct the implementation of management development skills training and safety training.
- Serve as primary resource for continued operation of the campus during emergencies.
- Effectively recruit, hire, train, evaluate, and motivate employees to ensure that hiring and supervisory practices are in compliance with the spirit and intent of EEO / AA and other policies contained within the University’s employee and policy manuals.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Founded in 1863, Bryant University (Bryant) is a private New England university with a tradition of innovation and a global vision for success. The University’s academic programs are distinguished by an integration of business and the arts and sciences with a global perspective. Their mission is to educate and inspire students to discover their passion and become innovative leaders with character around the world.
Located on 435 acres in Smithfield, RI, Bryant is just 12 miles from Providence and 50 miles from Boston.
Bryant is home to over 3,700 students.
U.S. News and World Report Rankings:
- #7 in Regional Universities, North
- #3 in Best Colleges for Veterans (in the Northern Region)
- #8 in Most Innovative Schools (in the Northern Region)