Helbling has been retained by our long-term client, White Plains Hospital, to conduct an executive search to secure an AVP of Facilities.
Under the general administrative direction of the Vice President of Facilities Management and Construction, the AVP is responsible for the overall management of the following Facility Service functions: Plant Operations, Engineering, Security, Parking, Bio-Medical Equipment and Emergency Management throughout the hospital campus and off site buildings. This position will collaborate with leaders from the management and medical staff in the planning and delivery of premier facility services as listed in the departments specified above. This position will oversee departments and cross-functional teams to
- Evaluate and prioritize projects, direct performance and design, track project costs and schedules, develop project budget and timelines, mitigate risk while assuring compliance, quality and safety by adhering to regulatory requirements.
- Develop, enhance and implement departmental operating models that manage and deliver a premier set of services focused on safety, reliability, regulatory compliance and staff / patient / customer satisfaction.
- Proactively plan for future needs while implementing state of the art preventative maintenance programs.
Essential Functions and Responsibilities Includes the Following:
- Understands and adheres to the WPH performance standards, policies and behaviors.
- Oversees the departments of Plant Operations, Engineering, Security, Parking, Bio-Medical Equipment and Emergency Management and regulatory compliance to include life-safety code, TJC, CMS, NYSDOH, OSHA and other city, state and federal agencies.
- Demonstrates current knowledge and competency in regulatory compliance and ensures active organizational wide ongoing educational programs for self and staff.
- Develops, recommends, and administers policies, procedures and processes in support of the group’s operations; and implements and monitors compliance per policies and collective bargaining agreements as applicable. Develops and implements appropriate auditing and monitoring systems to assure adherence to policies, procedures, and standards.
- Ensures the provision of services to maintain high-quality patient care and provide a safe and pleasant environment for patients, staff, physicians and guests. Also manages the operations of critical and essential systems and utilities such as electrical, heating, air conditioning, medical gases, and water.
- Demonstrates 24-hour responsibility and accountability for operations, quality of services, and all aspects of safety, security and facility services within the institution.
- Ensures provision of quality services by maintaining appropriate resources, staffing levels, competency of staff, maintenance/ and performance of equipment, instrumentation calibration, physical space, and training and education of staff.
- Effectively interviews and selects a qualified number of personnel as required to meet department objectives while ensuring hiring practices conform to appropriate Affirmative Action/EEO practices and regulations.
- Provides direction to the Directors, Managers, and Staff of the group.
- Reviews performance of the department staff and approves staff evaluations. Responsible for appropriate disciplinary action of staff members as needed.
- Demonstrates responsibility and accountability for all aspects of safety and maintenance programs of the institution. Ensures safe, well-maintained environment of care assuring the safety and well-being of patients, family, physicians, staff, and visitors throughout organization.
- Works with appropriate departmental managers and supervisors to develop a preventative maintenance program for each area of responsibility; integrates preventative maintenance with routine work orders utilizing the work order management system for effective distribution of workload and seem less delivery of service to the campus.
- Provides budgetary stewardship and oversight as a priority for all above departments that includes contracts, consultants, bidding and the RFQ and RFP processes.
- Develops, maintains and monitors an operating budget and a multi-year capital budget plan for the departments.
- Evaluates equipment needs in each area of responsibility; updates and maintains a list of University’s facilities equipment and vehicles, including life-cycle and replacement costs.
- Engages with all levels of staff, faculty, parents and community constituents in a manner that focuses on strong customer service and strengthens the effectiveness and reputation of the division.
- Collaborates with the Director of Construction to complete maintenance projects beyond routine maintenance; will assist with planning and assessing the operations as it relates to facilities operations.
- Provides advice on energy management and reductions as it relates to the capital plant.
- Oversees the response to 24-hour emergency calls; trouble-shoots and responds to after-hour issues as needed regarding the operational aspects of the facilities which include, but not limited to, HVAC, fire alarm malfunctions, electrical outages, water leaks, snow removal, etc.
- Ensures the management of outsourced facilities vendors, contractors and consultants. Ensure the Hospital’s service providers comply with all contractual obligations and performance expectations, while maintaining the best interest of the Hospital.