The University of Chicago has retained Helbling to conduct an executive search to secure an Associate Vice President for Facilities Services.
The University of Chicago is seeking an Associate Vice President for Facilities Services to provide strategic direction and planning for the stewardship of the University’s 217-acre campus comprised of 170 buildings with 18 million gross square feet of space in addition to other domestic and international sites. Reporting to the Executive Vice President, the Associate Vice President for Facilities Services will lead a staff of approximately 300 responsible for supporting the academic mission of the campus through securing and maintaining the viability and integrity of the physical campus via: capital project delivery; facilities operations; finance and business services; and campus planning and sustainability.
For more details about this opportunity, please view the position profile by clicking on the cover image to the right.
- Foster effective communication, collaboration, and inclusiveness within the Facilities Services organization while serving as a staff advocate who supports high quality, innovative programs to attract, develop, motivate, and retain a diverse workforce. Effectively oversee the full range of unit activities and services and capably lead the senior management team in fulfilment of the unit’s objectives.
- Deliver high quality construction and renovation projects on schedule and within budget. Provide University leadership and the Board of Trustees with grounds for high confidence that the University of Chicago has appropriately managed risk and obtained the best possible solutions at the lowest lifetime cost that achieves program, urban and environmental goals. Provide clear, transparent reporting on capital activity.
- Strengthen working relationships between Facilities Services and the campus community (faculty, students, and staff) while achieving enhanced credibility and trust within and between the unit and the University of Chicago community. Communicate goals, priorities, and plans to internal facilities personnel and to the campus community that allows for open dialogue to review and adjust when necessary. Ensure a high standard of transparency in decision making.
- Oversee the analysis, development, implementation, and monitoring of all facilities budgets including operations, maintenance, and capital project budgets, ensuring that the unit is delivering services in the most cost-appropriate and transparent way. Deliver on Facilities Services budget targets and agreed financial performance objectives.
- Leverage knowledge, technology, and process management to continually increase the efficiency and effectiveness of the facilities organization. Introduce appropriate innovative approaches and techniques to build on the University of Chicago’s existing assets. Maximize flexibility and responsiveness for all operations and services and foster a strong commitment to customer service through the entire unit.
- Facilitate continuing long-term planning to ensure that campus renewal meets the evolving needs of the institution and remains fully aligned with the strategic direction of the University. Demonstrate commitment to resource stewardship from both an economic and sustainability perspective. Lead and support sustainability objectives in both operating and capital programs.
- Serve as a politically astute spokesperson and leader for the University on physical planning, development, construction, and facilities / operations issues. Develop and maintain a positive relationship with senior leadership, program stakeholders such as deans and the Office of the Provost, partners such as the University Architect and Commercial Real Estate Office, the University community, unions, and government agencies.