The Madison Square Boys & Girls Club has retained Helbling to conduct an executive search to secure a Director, Maintenance & Facilities (Director).
The Director is responsible for leading the organization’s facilities maintenance by all trades, facilities scheduling, day-to-day custodial and service operations, information technology systems for operations, preventive maintenance, energy and utilities systems, recycling and waste management, event services, grounds maintenance, and facility condition assessment and tracking.
The Director oversees operational and maintenance functions for the organization consisting of 5 buildings totaling 150,000SF of space in Harlem, Bronx, and Brooklyn, New York. This full-time position reports directly to the Chief Operating Officer and leads a team of 5 full-time non-exempt and 10 part-time non-exempt employees.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
Related functions, which require close coordination with this department, are safety and security; planning, design and construction of capital and maintenance projects including major repairs, renovation, and new construction.
- Collaborates and supervises, as necessary, architects, staff consultants, contractors, and vendors in the development and design of new projects.
- Actively involved in investigating, evaluating, and recommending new materials, systems, equipment, and processes, which may benefit the institution including the development and implementation of sustainable initiatives with respect to energy, water, materials, and management.
- Prepares and manages Facilities annual operating budget.
- Prepares Capital Improvement Schedule.
- Assesses the staffing levels and competencies needed to ensure sufficient care of facilities, as well as mentor and coach direct reports; establishes staff development plans; and ensures compliance with production goals.
- Develops and maintains computer databases, as needed, for reports and preventive maintenance and scheduled replacement of equipment and building systems.
- Develops and manages operational and project budgets, as well as vendor and service contracts; prepares cost and time estimates and manages all aspects of assigned projects; coordinates with the other departments to evaluate, analyze, and implement improvements for organization services; and develops metrics to assess performance against established benchmarks.
- Ensures a safe working environment; coordinates and implements training programs; and ensures compliance with established federal, state, and local standards and codes related to facilities services.